- "We are your friends" says Israeli Prime Minister to Iranian people
- Indonesian President vows to do more for persecuted Christians
- Chinese President Xi Jinping steps up as global leader challenging US supremacy
- Trump and the future of NATO
- 100 000 Killed in Yemen conflict
- Pakistan Prime Minister defends religious minorities
- Trump to offer Putin sanction-nuclear deal
- Several thousand US troops arrive in Poland in show of strength against Russia
- US set for confrontation with China over South China Seas
- Swim Classes - the new front line for Muslim integration into Europe
- Christians remain the most persecuted group in the world
- Influential voice against Iranian hardliners dies
- China sends first freight train to London
- Islamic State claims deadly Istanbul nightclub attack
- 59 Killed in Baghdad as terrorists continue to target the city
J K ROWLING COMMISSIONED TO RE-WRITE BIBLE
True or false?
Has the Vatican under leadership of Pope Francis commissioned J K Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, to re-write the Bible in an attempt to make it more accessible for a new generation of Catholic and Protestant Christians?
An online article by www.waterfordwhispersnews.com claims the Pope has done exactly that, even showing a picture of Rowling holding up a copy of the Holy Bible by Rowling. Here is the article:
The latest PR coup for Pope Francis has seen him hire famous and revered children’s author JK Rowling to rewrite the Bible.
It is hoped the author, most famous for her Harry Potter series, can make it more accessible and believable for a new generation of Catholics and Christians.
While the specifics of the rewrite are not yet known, it is believed Rowling is tasked with producing a compelling tale that young Catholics and Christians can engage with. Figures such as dementors and other popular creations may take the place of less realistic Biblical creatures such as unicorns and the leviathon.
“We are very happy Miss Rowling has agreed to the rewrite, we keenly await the first draft,” a Vatican insider told WWN.
Rowling’s selection has raised some eyebrows but the decision by Pope Francis to select the wildly popular author is mainly due to commercial concerns.
“The sales of the Jesus Christ action figure have dropped by over 200% in the last 10 years, we are in need of new, compelling and toy-friendly characters…like the dinosaur in Toy Story,” a source close to the Pope told WWN.
“Our revenue streams are shrinking so the more Hollywood-esque the better,” the source concluded.
Rowling has thus far remained tight lipped on her vision for the Bible and its merry band of characters but a number of Hollywood producers are in discussions to turn it into a movie.
In the last century many Christian leaders have offered revisions on the interpretations of many of the Bible’s passages but Rowling is expected to take a more drastic approach.
“Judas is probably going to wear a leather jacket and JK is toying with the idea of a nervous twitch or even an eye-patch. Also why have one book when can have more? She is thinking of splitting it up into 9, maybe 10 books” the author’s publicist shared with WWN.
Here are some facts to consider:
- Waterford Whispers News, in their own words, describes the website and its content as “the leading satire news source in Ireland”. A recent example of their 'breaking news articles' is an article claiming North Korea successfully landed a man on the surface of the sun, and brought the astronaut back in one piece, alive. (http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/01/21/north-korea-lands-first-ever-man-on-the-sun-confirms-central-news-agency/)
- The picture of Rowling holding up a copy of the commissioned new Bible is a fake. A close look reveals the poor Photoshop editing that was applied to the image. The actual photo of Rowling was taken during the book release of The Half-Blood Prince.
- The Vatican Insider (a project run by the daily newspaper “La Stampa”, provides comprehensive information on the Vatican, the activities of the Pope and the Holy See, the Catholic Church’s presence on the international scene and on religious issues) refelcts the reality of what the Catholic Church thinks of Rowling’s books, reporting that “the Catholic world has often raised an eyebrow at the Harry Potter books, claiming the books in the series promote magic and spiritualism”.
The article and the photo is a hoax and as such the accusation made against the Catholic Pope, claiming he commissioned Rowling, is untrue.